The History of the Milwaukee Academy of Medicine Archives
From the Foreward of The History of the Milwaukee Academy of Medicine
By 1886, John K. Bartlett had been in practice in Milwaukee 45 years. He had seen the population grow from 2,000 to 165,000, and his medical colleagues grow in number from seven to 168. In his 45 years of practice, Bartlett had been active enough in the affairs of his city to have a street be given his name due largely to his efforts at improving sanitation, public school education, and in the establishment of the Milwaukee Public Library. And in 1886, then really too old and probably already developing the malignancy which was to kill him in November, 1889, he became a founder and an honorary member of yet another medical society, the Clinical Club. But this one was to outlive all of its founders, to grow to a membership of 300 and to enter its second century in 1886 as the Milwaukee Academy of Medicine.